Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Sindh Announces Free Electricity for Consumers Using Upto 100 Units Per Month

Sindh Energy Minister Nasir Hussain Shah has announced positive news for electricity consumers in Karachi who use less than 100 units per month. The Sindh government plans to provide free electricity to these consumers through solar energy projects, aiming to reduce their electricity bills and promote renewable energy.

To support this initiative, the Sindh government has allocated Rs 5 billion for solar energy projects. One of the key components of this plan is the distribution of 200,000 solar panels at subsidized rates.

Under this scheme, consumers will only need to pay 20 percent of the cost of the solar panels, while the government will cover the remaining 80 percent. This significant subsidy is designed to make solar energy more affordable and accessible to the people of Karachi.

In addition to distributing solar panels, the Sindh government will establish solar parks and mini-grid stations across the province, including in Karachi. These solar parks and mini-grid stations will help generate and distribute solar power, ensuring a steady supply of free electricity to eligible consumers.

This approach not only helps reduce dependence on traditional power sources but also promotes the use of clean, renewable energy.

This initiative comes at a critical time, as K-Electric, the main electricity provider in Karachi, has been facing financial challenges. K-Electric has raised concerns about unpaid dues from various government departments and the Karachi Water and Sewerage Board.

These unpaid bills have caused financial strain on K-Electric, making it difficult for the company to maintain the power network. If these issues are not addressed, there is a risk of power outages in the city.

The Sindh government’s solar energy initiative aims to alleviate some of the financial burdens on K-Electric by reducing the demand for traditional electricity. By providing free solar power to low-use consumers, the government hopes to ease the pressure on the power grid and improve the overall stability of the electricity supply in Karachi.

Furthermore, this move aligns with broader efforts to promote renewable energy and reduce carbon emissions. By investing in solar energy projects, the Sindh government is taking a significant step towards a more sustainable and environmentally friendly energy future for the province.

Related Articles

Latest Articles