Japan has introduced a simplified visa application process for UAE residents. It allows them to explore the country for up to 90 days. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan launched the online eVisa platform on March 27, 2023. All UAE and Saudi Arabia residents can apply for a short term tourist visa through the official eVisa website, Evisa.mofa
Eligibility and Exemptions
The Japan eVisa offers a convenient online visa application process for residents of 11 countries, including UAE. However, certain nationalities may be exempt from paying the visa fee or qualify for a reduced fee. Moreover, Japan has also established visa exemption arrangements with 69 countries. It allows travelers from these nations to enjoy visa free travel.
Duration and Validity
With the Japan eVisa, travelers can enjoy an extended 90 day stay in the country for tourism purposes. This eVisa is valid for a period of three months. This allows visitors ample time to explore the rich cultural heritage, vibrant cities, and breathtaking landscapes of Japan.
Step 1: Creating an Account
- Visit the official Japan eVisa platform website and click on the “Online Visa Application” section, Evisa.mofa.
- Register a new account by providing email address, nationality, and place of residence.
- Activate the account using the link sent via email and set a password.
Step 2: Register for eVisa Application
- Log in using the email address and password.
- Click on “New registration” and agree to the terms and conditions.
Step 3: Fill out Basic Information
- Upload a recent passport photo and a copy of your passport.
- Provide personal details, passport information, nationality, and Emirates ID number.
- Select occupation, purpose of visit (tourism), and travel details.
Step 4: Address and Employment Details
Enter current UAE address, contact information, and employment details.
Step 5: Questionnaire
Answer a series of yes/no questions related to your application.
Step 6: Upload Required Documents
Upload the required documents, such as passport copy, recent photo, Emirates ID, itinerary, hotel information, employment certificate, and bank statement.
Step 7: Review and Confirm Details
Review the summary of the application form and confirm the information entered.
Step 8: Submit the eVisa Application
- Select the application from the visa application list and click the red ‘Submit’ button.
- A confirmation notification will appear.
Step 9: Check Application Status
Visit the eVisa website and select “Visa Application List” to track the status of your application.
Step 10: Fee Payment and Issuance
- If the application is approved, follow the instructions in the email to make the visa fee payment at the designated consulate.
- The visa issuance fee for the Japan eVisa, as stated by Japan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, is 3,000 yen, which is approximately Dh82.
- Once the payment is confirmed, the eVisa will be issued and accessible through the eVisa website.
Japan has lifted Covid-19 rom May 8, 2023, Japan will no longer require proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test for entry. Moreover, the Japanese government considers COVID-19 a common disease, leading to the removal of related entry restrictions. However, travelers must present the official eVisa document, the ‘Visa Issuance Notice,’ at the departure airport.