WhatsApp is working on a new privacy feature called ‘Alternate Profile.’ This feature is still in development and not available to users yet, but it will be made accessible to everyone soon.
The main purpose of the Alternate Profile feature is to provide an extra layer of privacy and security. It will be helpful for people who want more control over who can see their profile information.
Here’s how it works: You can set up a different profile picture and name that will only be visible to specific contacts. Your main profile information will be hidden from others.
For example, you can show your profile photo to your contacts, but people who are not in your contact list won’t see it; instead, they will see your alternate profile picture. You can access this feature in your profile settings.
To use this feature when it becomes available:
- Open the WhatsApp app.
- Go to the settings and select ‘Privacy.’
- Click on ‘Profile Photo.’
- Choose ‘My Contacts’ to limit the visibility of your main profile photo to your contacts.
- You will have the option to create an ‘Alternate Profile.’
- Set up your alternate profile similar to your main one.
- Save the settings. Now, you have successfully created an alternate profile that only specific users can see.
The benefit of this feature is that it offers more security and privacy by letting you have different profile information for different people. It will be even more useful when WhatsApp allows you to set up a username in the future.
This way, you can restrict who sees your profile photos to just your contacts. Even if someone contacts you through a username, they can still see your profile, but it will be different from your main one, making your information more private and secure.